Sunday, July 25, 2010

Returning to Mexico


I'm getting ready to go back to Mexico for a 5-month stay. This will hopefully be the final data collection trip as I work on my dissertation. As in previous years, I will be living and working in the village of Teuchitlán in Jalisco. This is a town of a few thousand people located about an hour west of Guadajara at the foot of the Tequila Volcano.

During my other trips, I have sent out email updates of my adventures in archaeology in Mexico, but I decided that switching to a blog format would make more sense this time around. I'm hoping to get the chance to go back in and add many of my older messages from years past and share those older photos, but my internet time in Mexico is very limited. So we shall see how it goes! This is my first experience blogging, so hopefully it goes well!

I'll be leaving early Tuesday morning to make the flights from Kentucky to Guadalajara. From the airport, my trip to Teuchitlán consists of a half-hour taxi ride followed by a 2-hour bus ride. If all goes well, I will be at my new home about 12 hours after leaving my home in Kentucky. This year will be a mixture of the old and new for me-- the artifacts I'm analyzing and many of my coworkers are old friends, but the lab building and my home will both be new to me. As always, I'm very nervous and anxious about my husband, family, friends, and all the comforts of home for a very different life. Everything is different in Teuchitlán from the language to the food to the pattern of daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment